Some back pain is caused by non-preventable factors (traumatic accidents, congenital defects, tumors), but the majority of low back pain is preventable. Suggestions on how you can prevent back pain include:
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight.
- Remain active.
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest.
- Warm up or stretch before exercising or other physical activities.
- Maintain proper posture.
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes.
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine.
- Lift with your legs, keep the object close to your body, and do not twist when lifting.
- Work with your doctor of chiropractic to ensure that your spine is aligned properly!